The IELTS Talking check format has three components. On this put up, we’ll take an in depth take a look at every one and contemplate some IELTS Talking ideas and techniques that will help you enhance your rating. We’ve additionally included a printable PDF cheat sheet that features the Half 1, 2, and three ideas from this web page, however expands on them with extra explanations and examples!
Earlier than we get to recommendation for the particular components, let’s take a look at some common IELTS Talking ideas for self-study.
IELTS Talking Ideas and Tips for Self-Research
Self examine could be difficult, particularly for an interactive English ability like talking. Our lead teacher Eliot has made an incredible video of self-study recommendation for IELTS Talking. And beneath that video, get pleasure from a listing of Magoosh’s high 10 self-study ideas and tips!
Our college students have discovered IELTS Talking check ideas 7 to 10 above to be particularly helpful. So Eliot has made a YouTube video that explores these 4 IELTS Talking ideas in even larger element:
Listed below are ten self-study IELTS Talking ideas from Magoosh’s high IELTS specialists.
Tip 1: Throughout Follow, Be Relaxed!
Being relaxed and assured helps make your English extra pure; that in flip helps fluency. After all, on the true check, stress-free could be simpler stated than accomplished. However when you follow giving responses with out stress throughout self-study, you’re extra prone to be assured on check day.
Tip 2: Broaden Your Vocabulary, However Preserve Issues Easy.
Research vocabulary so to use a variety of phrases with confidence. However bear in mind, English speech has less complicated vocabulary than extremely educational written English. To see the best vary of phrases, take a look at our article on IELTS Talking vocabulary.
Tip 3: Follow Paraphrasing.
In the event you copy the precise phrases out of your Half 2 subject card or repeat the precise phrases out of your IELTS examiner, you’re not demonstrating your personal language means. To keep away from this, spend a while training placing issues into your personal phrases.
Tip 4: Use a Number of Grammar.
Throughout self-study, while you say one thing out loud for a follow talking response, strive saying that very same factor in just a few other ways, with completely different grammar. This may enable you perceive the other ways you could possibly say one thing on check day, and select the very best, most diversified grammar.
Tip 5: Follow Each Intonation and Pronunciation
Keep in mind that the sound of English (and any language!) is partly about pronunciation (the person sounds) and partly about intonation (the tone and rhythm of the language). For intonation, this tutorial from the Magoosh TOEFL Weblog (additionally relevant to IELTS) is a good place to start out.
Tip 6: Be Assured, Even when You Have an Accent.
I say if you’ve an accent. However realistically, everybody has an accent. Even most native English audio system have pronunciation that’s at the least somewhat completely different from the usual on the IELTS. And that’s OK! Don’t waste time making an attempt to do away with your accent throughout follow.
Tip 7: Report Your self and Hear Again.
That is particularly necessary for self-study. Magoosh IELTS lets its subscribers file and save their responses, however there are numerous different applied sciences– in your PC or on the net– that allow you to do that.
Tip 8: Evaluation the Responses of Different Check-Takers.
This is likely one of the most necessary IELTS Talking ideas, a “should do” for self-studiers. Right here once more, Magoosh IELTS has you coated. However there are additionally loads of wonderful free methods to hearken to different college students’ mannequin solutions to pattern questions on the Web, comparable to this wonderful web page from the official IELTS web site.
Tip 9: Discover Others to Assist You with IELTS Talking
“Wait”, you may assume. “Aren’t we speaking about self-study? Sure, however self-study doesn’t at all times imply finding out alone. Even when you aren’t taking a category or utilizing a tutor, assets comparable to examine companions, IELTS assist boards, or Magoosh’s IELTS Talking evaluation could be helpful.
Tip 10: Keep Disciplined and Observe a Plan.
For IELTS check self-studiers, this the is most necessary of the IELTS Talking ideas. Our web page of IELTS examine schedules may help you keep disciplined and plan-focused as you put together for the entire IELTS examination. Or, you can also make the same plan of your personal.
IELTS Talking Ideas for a Excessive Rating: Elements 1, 2, and three
Now, for some IELTS talking ideas for every particular person a part of the Talking examination. The following pointers will enable you meet the marking standards within the IELTS Talking band descriptors. Learn on for tactics to get a excessive rating!
IELTS Talking Half 1
- Keep away from easy solutions. In Half 1, you’ll typically be requested common questions on acquainted subjects that technically might be answered with only a phrase or two, or with a easy “sure” or “no.” However to get an incredible rating, you’ll must reply in larger element. And because the subject of Half 1 is you, it is best to have a lot to say!
- However don’t give solutions which can be too lengthy. Finally, on this primary a part of the check, the questions are nonetheless fairly easy. In the event you communicate for too lengthy on anybody response, you threat going off subject. (See web page 1 of our Talking Methods PDF for examples of a solution of the best size.)
IELTS Talking Half 2
- Talk about each a part of the subject. The Process card for Half 2 is a multipart query. Lacking an element is likely one of the best methods to overlook factors!
- Keep targeted. Be sure you reply very on to the prompts on the web page, and don’t talk about unrelated subjects.
- Pay particular consideration to Function 3 on the subject card. This a part of the cardboard requires an prolonged response with details and supporting particulars. (For pattern subject playing cards, see our put up on IELTS Talking Half 2.
- Preserve these notes easy. You actually can’t write that many notes in 60 seconds. Follow creating notes that use only a few phrases to reference every factor you’ll say.
IELTS Talking Half 3